Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Twas The Night Before Christmas in Iraq

Back in 1882, Clement Clarke Moore, wrote the famous poem, The Night Before Christmas. Throughout the years, it has become a tradition in many families to read the poem every Christmas season along with watching Christmas Vacation and It’s a Wonderful Life.

Last year, I received another poem from a dear friend, referred to as a Different Christmas Poem whose author is unknown. This poem described a dream that a gentleman had regarding a soldier standing guard outside his home on a snowy night on Christmas Eve.

The poems had me contemplating about our brave men and women in uniform in Iraq and wondering what they will be doing on Christmas Eve. What will their spouses and children be doing that night while their loved ones are so far away?

How does it feel to be 5,000 miles from home sacrificing everything for a country whose Congressional leaders do not support your mission and call you invaders and murderers?

With boots on the ground in Iraq, liberal leaders, like Sen. Harry Reid, Democrat-Nevada, have provided propaganda to Al-Qaeda by saying, “The war is lost.” Rep. John Murtha, Democrat-Pennsylvania, emboldened our enemies by saying, “U.S. Marines killed innocent civilians in cold blood.”

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Democrat-California, demoralized our troops by calling the war, “A grotesque mistake.” Senator and President-elect Obama said our troops are “air raiding villages and killing civilians.”

Thanks for the support and, by the way, have you heard? The surge worked. London’s Sunday Times called it ‘the culmination of one of the most spectacular victories of the war on terror.’

Our country has never invaded another country to rule it, only to free it. On Normandy Beach in 2002, President Bush noted that since the U.S. Civil War in the 1860's, "our nation's battles have all been far from home. In all those victories, American soldiers came to liberate, not to conquer. The only land we claim as our own are the resting places of our men and women."

So, this year, while I was putting my ACLU and global warming ornaments on my “holiday” tree, I came up with another poem regarding our soldiers who are truly the best of the best. It consolidates parts of both poems to make them pertinent to the present-day crisis our armed forces, which are in harm’s way, face everyday and I named it, Twas The Night Before Christmas in Iraq:

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through my home, not a sound could I hear, not even the phone.

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,

I flipped on the TV and saw a soldier standing there.

It was a young man, perhaps a Marine, with a desert in the background, it was a lonely scene.

And I thought, ‘He’s so far from home and should be on leave, He should be here with his family on Christmas Eve.’

Then the soldier said, “It’s really all right,

I’m over here by choice; I’m here every night.

It’s my duty to stand, at the front of the line,

That separates all of you, from the darkest of times.

No one had to ask, or beg or implore me,

I’m proud to stand here, like my fathers before me.

Grandpa died at Pearl Harbor one December, then he said, “That’s a Christmas, Grandma always remembers.”

“My dad stood his watch, in the jungles of Nam,

And now it’s my turn, and so here I am.

I’ve not seen my own son, in more than a while,

My wife sends me pictures; he’s sure got her smile.”

Then he bent and carefully, pulled from his bag,

The red, white and blue, an American flag,

He said, “I can live through the heat, and being alone,

Away from my family, my house and my home.

I can stand firm at the front, against any and all,

To ensure for all time, that this flag will not fall.”

I wondered how I could repay him, for all he’s done, for being away from his wife, his home and his son?

Then I saw in his eye, a tear that held no regret,

“Just pray for us every day, and never forget.”

For when we come home, it will be payment enough,

To know we mattered to you, as you mattered to us.”

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,

Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Dennis Powers

Send your comments to DennisHPowers@Comcast.net or mail them to POB 179, Jacksboro, TN 37757.

No comments: